Adding collagen to smoothies is an easy way to help support gut health. This easy blueberry collagen smoothie is good as part of your breakfast or for an afternoon snack.
What is Collagen?
Collagen is the most common fibrous protein in the body. It’s the main component of connective tissue and forms the foundation for bones and teeth and helps maintain the structure of blood vessels and other tissues such as skin, muscle, tendons, and ligaments.
Two good ways to consume collagen are bone broth and supplements with collagen peptides. Hydrolyzed collagen (also known as collagen peptides) is a colorless and mostly tasteless powder that easily dissolves in smoothies, drinks, soups, or baked goods.
Why is Collagen Good for Gut Health?
Collagen is beneficial for gut health because it’s abundant in the amino acids glycine, glutamate, and proline, which are needed to keep your intestinal lining healthy and help prevent leaky gut. Leaky gut occurs when the tight junctions in the lining of your gut become damaged and allow toxins and food particles to leak out of the gut into the bloodstream, causing inflammation.
Blueberry Collagen Smoothie Ingredients
- Collagen hydrolysate powder
- Blueberries – full of antioxidants and vitamins. The fiber in blueberries is a good source of prebiotics that can feed the healthy bacteria (i.e. probiotics) in your gut. Eating enough fiber is also important for preventing constipation.
- Ground flaxseed – has both soluble and insoluble fiber and is a good plant-based source of omega-3 essential fatty acids.
- Unsweetened non-dairy or regular milk (if you can digest dairy) – adds some calcium and provides the liquid for the smoothie.
More Smoothie Recipes
Blueberry Collagen Smoothie
- 1 cup Unsweetened almond milk (or hemp milk, rice milk, or coconut milk)
- 1 cup Frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoons Collagen powder
- 1 tablespoon Ground flaxseed
- Add all ingredients to a blender.
- Blend until smooth and serve.
Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board!