Cranberry and orange are one of my favorite fall and winter flavor combinations for baking. Together they create a nice mix of tartness and sweetness. I’ve been really into baking with almond flour lately so I decided to make cranberry orange almond flour muffins and was very happy with how they turned out. These muffins would make a good grab and go breakfast or an afternoon snack.
Step One: Mix the Wet Ingredients
Start by whisking together:
- Maple syrup
- Vanilla extract
- Freshly squeezed orange juice
I’ve discovered that to make the muffins hold together, you need to use more eggs with almond flour than you would for regular flour. Therefore, this recipe calls for 3 eggs.
Maple syrup is used for the sweetener instead of white sugar.
The orange flavor comes orange zest and a few tablespoons of freshly squeezed orange juice from the orange that you zested.
Step Two: Combine the Dry Ingredients
In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients:
- Almond flour
- Coconut flour
- Orange zest
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
Once the dry ingredients are combined, add them to the wet ingredients and toss in the cranberries. You can use fresh or frozen cranberries. If you use frozen, don’t thaw them first because the color may start to bleed into the batter and make it pink.
Step Three: Bake It and Store It
Pour the batter into muffin tins and bake for about 22 minutes, until the tops are golden brown. You know your baked goods are done when you can insert a toothpick into the center and have it come out clean. Leftover cranberry orange almond flour muffins can be stored in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
More Almond Flour Baking Recipes to Try
Cranberry Orange Almond Flour Muffins
- 1.5 cups almond flour
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- zest of one medium orange
- 2 tablespoons orange juice (from the orange you zested)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a muffin pan with cooking spray or add paper liners to the tins.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, orange juice, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- In a separate large bowl, mix together the almond flour, coconut flour, orange zest, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Gently fold the cranberries into the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tins. Bake for 22 minutes until the tops are golden brown.
Pin this recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later!