Canned tuna is a staple in my pantry. It’s a quality protein that you can use to make a quick and easy dinner. If you like tuna, try making these gluten-free tuna cakes. Make it a complete meal by serving with a sweet potato, some sauteed vegetables, and maybe a side salad.
Step One: Combine the Ingredients
This recipe is so easy to assemble. Start by adding all the ingredients, except the oil, to a large bowl then mix it all up to combine everything. The use of almond flour instead of regular flour makes this recipe gluten-free.
It helps to use your hands to break up the tuna and mix it all together. You’re going to get your hands messy when you shape the cakes, so you might as well use them in this step too.
Step Two: Shape the Tuna Cakes
This step can be a bit messy. To shape the tuna cakes, scoop out about ⅓ cup of the mixture and use your hands to form a small patty. I actually used a ⅓ cup measuring cup to try to use the same amount of tuna in each patty. You should be able to make about 7-8 patties.
Step Three: Pan-Fry the Tuna Cakes
Heat up the oil in a large skillet. Once the tuna cakes are formed, add 3-4 cakes to the skillet and cook until browned on each side. I wouldn’t try to cook more than 4 patties at once. If you overcrowd the skillet it becomes difficult to flip them.
Tuna cakes can last in the fridge for up to three days if you store them in an airtight container. Heat up any leftovers in the microwave for a few minutes and squeeze some fresh lemon juice on them before serving.
More Quick and Easy Meals to Try
Easy Tuna Cakes Recipe
- 2 5 oz. cans of tuna, drained and flaked
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 egg
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- zest and juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt, more to taste
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (or any cooking oil)
- In a large bowl, mix together the tuna, almond flour, egg, scallions, parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. To make the tuna cakes, scoop out about ⅓ of the mixture and make a patty shape with your hands.
- Add the patties to the oil and cook until browned, about 4-5 minutes on each side. Cover the pan with a splatter screen if you have one to minimize oil splatter.
Did you make this recipe? Post a photo on Instagram and tag me @nutritious_minimalist so I can see!