One-pan skillet dishes are fantastic for quick and healthy meals. This ground beef and sweet potato skillet dish works great for a quick dinner or as part of a weekend meal prep that you can eat for lunch or dinner during the week.
Cook the Ground Beef
Start by sauteeing the onion, garlic, and ginger. You can use a few teaspoons of garlic powder or ground ginger powder if you don’t have fresh.
Next, add the ground beef and cook it until it browns. I used 93% lean ground beef, but you can use leaner or fattier ground beef as well. Ground turkey would work too if you prefer that.
When you cook the ground meat, be sure to drain any excess fat before adding the other ingredients. I spoon excess grease into an empty can (e.g., save the empty can from canned beans or canned diced tomatoes) that I keep in the freezer until I’m ready to throw it out.
Flavor with Curry Powder
This skillet dish is seasoned with curry powder, which is such an easy way to add a ton of flavor to a dish. I used a madras curry powder, but you could also use Thai curry paste if you had that. If you want to learn more about the different types of curry and how to cook with them, read this post.
Cook the Sweet Potatoes
Next, it’s time to add sweet potato chunks that have been cut into uniform size pieces so that they cook evenly. Diced tomatoes in their juice and ½ cup of water are added to the skillet to steam the sweet potatoes as the liquid begins to simmer. It will take about 20-25 minutes to cook the sweet potatoes. Russet potatoes or red potatoes could be used in place of sweet potatoes if that’s what you have.
Ground beef and sweet potato skillet can keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. If you are making this as part of your meal prep, portion the servings out into individual containers so you can simply grab a container to heat up when you’re ready. Serve with a side of brown rice and you have a filling delicious meal!
More Quick Dinner Recipes to Try
Ground Beef and Sweet Potato Skillet
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into small chunks
- 1 tsp cooking oil (olive oil, avocado oil, or coconut oil)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 tsp salt, more to taste
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and cook for 5 minutes until the onion softens and starts to get translucent.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook 1 minute.
- Add the ground beef and cook 8-10 minutes until it's browned.
- Add the curry powder, diced tomatoes with their juice, sweet potato chunks, and 1/2 cup of water. Stir to combine and then simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Add the frozen green peas and cook 2 minutes until they are warmed.