This low FODMAP version of ground beef picadillo makes a hearty one-pot dinner.
A low FODMAP elimination diet can help identify foods that trigger IBS symptoms. However, FODMAPs are in many common foods, which can leave you overwhelmed about what to make for dinner. This picadillo recipe is an easy one-pot dinner that is low-FODMAP friendly.
Low FODMAP Ingredients
Ground beef dishes are generally good low FODMAP options, since meat, poultry, and fish that are not processed or sold in a marinade are naturally low FODMAP.
Some vegetables can be high in fructans or mannitol (e.g., onion, garlic, cauliflower, button mushrooms, celery), but the tomatoes, red bell pepper, and Yukon gold potatoes in this ground beef picadillo are low FODMAP vegetables.
The dish is made without onion and garlic since these foods are high in fructans, but the olives, capers, and spices are low FODMAP foods that add lots of flavor.
Raisins are one of those foods that are low FODMAP if they are eaten in small quantities. They contain small amounts of fructans, but raisins are considered low FODMAP if you consume 1 tablespoon or less per meal.
More Low FODMAP Recipes to Try
Low FODMAP Ground Beef Picadillo
- 1 pound lean ground beef can use ground turkey instead
- 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 small Yukon gold potatoes, diced into 1/2" cubes can also use red potatoes
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives
- 1/4 cup capers
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the ground beef for 7-8 minutes, until browned.
- Add the bell pepper and potatoes and cook an additional 5 minutes until the vegetables start to soften (everything does not need to be fully cooked yet).
- Add the tomatoes, red wine vinegar, cumin, oregano, and bay leaves. Turn the heat to medium-low, cover the pan, and let it simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the olives, capers, raisins, salt, and black pepper, and cook an additional 15 minutes uncovered.