This easy pina colada collagen smoothie is good for breakfast or an afternoon snack. Adding collagen to smoothies is an easy way to help support gut health. If you like pineapple and coconut, you’ll want to try this.
What is Collagen?
Collagen is the most common fibrous protein in the body. It’s the main component of connective tissue and forms the foundation for bones and teeth and helps maintain the structure of blood vessels and other tissues such as skin, muscle, tendons, and ligaments.
Two good ways to consume collagen are bone broth and supplements with collagen peptides. Hydrolyzed collagen (also known as collagen peptides) is a colorless and mostly tasteless powder that easily dissolves in smoothies, drinks, soups, or baked goods.
Why is Collagen Good for Gut Health?
Collagen is beneficial for gut health because it’s abundant in the amino acids glycine, glutamate, and proline, which are needed to keep your intestinal lining healthy and help prevent leaky gut. Leaky gut occurs when the tight junctions in the lining of your gut become damaged and allow toxins and food particles to leak out of the gut into the bloodstream, causing inflammation.
Pina Colada Collagen Smoothie Ingredients
- Collagen hydrolysate powder
- Lite coconut milk (from the can) – adds flavor and a creamy texture, healthy fats, and makes this smoothie very filling.
- Frozen pineapple – contains bromelain, an enzyme that helps digest protein. Pineapple also has fiber that can help prevent constipation as well as act as a prebiotic to feed the healthy bacteria (i.e. probiotics) in the colon.
More Smoothie Recipes
How to Make Green Smoothies: The Basics
Pina Colada Collagen Smoothie
- 1 cup Lite coconut milk from the can
- 2 cups Frozen pineapple
- 2 tablespoons Collagen powder
- Add all ingredients to a blender.
- Blend until smooth and serve,
Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board!