Sheet pan chicken fajitas are an easy healthy dinner. They’re simple to assemble and have minimal cleanup thanks to being a one-pan meal. If you’re in the mood for some healthy Mexican food, follow this recipe to have delicious chicken fajitas ready in about 30 minutes.
Sheet pan dinners are one of those versatile meals that let you use with whatever ingredients you have on hand. You can read more about the “formula” for how to build healthy sheet pan meals here.
Prep the Chicken and Veggies
To make sheet pan chicken fajitas, start by slicing chicken breast into long strips. You can also use chicken thighs. Thinly slice an onion (yellow or red onion works) and three bell peppers. I used green, red and yellow bell peppers to make the dish more colorful, but you can use any color pepper you’d like.
Next, make the fajita seasoning using basic Mexican spices that you will likely already have in your pantry. In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, ground cumin, ground coriander, smoked paprika, garlic powder, dried oregano, ground black pepper, and salt.
Add a couple of tablespoons of oil to the seasoning blend to create a mixture that you can coat the chicken and veggies with. I like to use avocado oil because it has a high smoke point and therefore can be cooked at high temperatures.
Bake the Chicken Fajitas
To make cleanup a breeze, line the baking sheet with foil. If you don’t have any, spray the baking sheet with some cooking spray to prevent sticking.
Once the chicken and veggies have been coated with the seasoning, spread everything out evenly on the baking sheet so it cooks evenly.
Squeeze some fresh lime juice over the finished product for some extra flavor.
How to Serve Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
Serve the fajita filling in soft taco shells and add your favorite fajita fixings: guacamole, salsa, pico de gallo, chopped cilantro, or shredded cheese if you eat dairy.
You can also make a fajita bowl by serving the filling and any toppings over rice.
Finally, if you want a low carb, paleo, or Whole30 meal, eat the fajita filling without the taco shell or rice. Just add some diced avocado or pico de gallo.
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas Recipe
- 1.25 pound chicken breasts, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt, more to taste
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil (or cooking oil of choice)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, cumin, coriander, paprika, garlic powder, dried oregano, salt, and pepper. Add the oil and whisk everything together.
- Line a large sheet pan with foil or lightly spray with cooking oil.
- Add the chicken, peppers, and onion to the sheet pan and pour the spice mixture over it. Toss until everything is coated evenly. Spread everything out evenly on the sheet pan.
- Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the chicken is cooked and the vegetables are soft.
- Squeeze lime juice over the cooked fajita filling.