Vegan broccoli cheese soup is creamy, filling, and packed with vegetables. Cashews and nutritional yeast are used to make the vegan “cheese”. A great meal prep recipe for lunch or dinner.
What You Need to Make Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Broccoli: obviously the base of broccoli soup.
- Yukon potatoes: help to thicken the soup. Any white potato would work.
- Carrots: Add some color and extra veggies.
- Onion and garlic: aromatics to add flavor.
- Nutritional yeast: the magic ingredient to making a tasty vegan cheese sauce. Learn more about how what exactly is nutritional yeast and how to use it here.
- Cashews: the other ingredient for making a vegan cheese sauce. Helps to make the soup rich and creamy.
- Smoked paprika: gives just a little smoky flavor.
- Vegetable broth/stock: another essential ingredient for soup, which adds more flavor than just using water.
Tips for Making Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
Roast the broccoli. The extra step of roasting the broccoli adds so much flavor. It only takes 20 minutes and you can do it while the soup is simmering since the broccoli is added at the end. If you don’t want to roast it then steam it in the microwave for 5-8 minutes, until it’s soft.
Blending the soup. Let the soup cool a bit before transferring it to a blender. To add some texture to the soup only puree half of the broccoli. After the soup is pureed add the remaining broccoli and pulse one or two times to break it up into small pieces without totally pureeing it. If you prefer a completely creamy soup, skip this step and add all the broccoli when you’re pureeing the soup.
Making vegan cheese sauce. Add the nutritional yeast and cashews to the soup while it simmers is the base for making a vegan cheese soup. When you do this you can also skip the step of soaking the cashews, which is often required when making a vegan cheese sauce.
Storage & Reheating Tips
The soup can keep in the fridge for up to 5 days if you store it in a container with a tight-fitting lid. You can also freeze any leftover for several months.
It can be reheated in the microwave or on the stovetop over medium heat. The consistency will become a bit thinner after you reheat it. However, if you would like to make it even thinner, add a few tablespoons of water before reheating.
More Vegan Recipes to Try
Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 4 cups broccoli florets, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 small Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp salt, more to taste
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper, more to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400℉. Toss the broccoli with a little oil and some salt and pepper and spread evenly on a large baking sheet. Roast for 20 minutes.
- While the broccoli roasts, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat. Add onion and carrots and cook for 6-8 minutes until the vegetables are soft. Add the garlic and cook another 30 seconds.
- Add the potatoes, broth, cashews, nutritional yeast, paprika, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer for 20 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
- Allow the soup to cool a bit then transfer to a blender to puree it, working in batches if necessary. After the soup is pureed, add the roasted broccoli and pulse a few times, just enough to incorporate the broccoli without pureeing it.
Pin this recipe to your favorite Pinterest board!