Vegan chickpea curry is a quick and easy one-pot meal that can be made in under 30 minutes. Coconut curries are one of my go-to simple weeknight dinners. They’re filled with healthy fats, protein, and vegetables and can easily be customized to use whatever protein or veggies you have on hand. By keeping a can of coconut milk and a jar of curry powder in the pantry, you can whip up a healthy vegan curry at any time.
Ingredients to Make Vegan Chickpea Curry
- Olive oil (or coconut oil or avocado oil)
- Can of chickpeas
- Can of coconut milk (ideally full-fat)
- Yellow curry powder
- Can of diced tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- Small onion
- Baby spinach
Ideas for Customizing Vegan Chickpea Curry
If you don’t have chickpeas in the pantry, any other type of canned bean will work, such as kidney beans, black beans, cannellini beans, or pinto beans.
Instead of carrots or spinach, you can use whatever types of vegetables you like. Curries are a great way to use up vegetables you have in the fridge before they go bad. Any of the following would work:
- Sliced bell pepper (green, red, orange, or yellow)
- Green beans
- Snow peas
- Broccoli or cauliflower florets
- Shredded cabbage
- Chopped kale
- Cubed sweet potatoes
- Chopped yellow or green zucchini
Storing Leftover Vegan Chickpea Curry
This dish will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days if it’s stored in an airtight container. If you’re meal prepping this for meals later in the week, portion it out into individual containers so you can easily grab one serving. When you’re ready to eat it, simply reheat the container in the microwave for 2-3 minutes.
More Vegan Recipes to Try
Vegan Chickpea Curry
- 2 teaspoons oil (olive oil, coconut oil, or avocado oil)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 13.5 oz. can of coconut milk
- 1 14.5 oz. can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1.5 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots and cook for 5 minutes until the onions become translucent.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and curry powder and stir for about 30 seconds.
- Add the coconut milk, tomatoes, and chickpeas. Bring to a simmer and cook for 8 minutes.
- Add spinach and stir until it wilts. Season with salt and pepper.
Pin this recipe to your favorite Pinterest board!