Vegan stuffed peppers are an easy meal to make if you’re trying to incorporate more plant-based meals into your week.
Instead of using ground meat, these peppers are stuffed with rice, lentils, mushrooms, onions, and tomatoes. These peppers are filling and still taste good when reheated.
If you’re interested in incorporating more plant-based meals into your week read more about plant-based meal prepping here.
Ingredients for Vegan Stuffed Peppers
- Bell peppers: any color pepper will work
- Brown rice: rinse it well before cooking it
- Lentils: green or brown lentils work best because they keep their shape
- Mushrooms: white or portabella
- Onion & garlic: aromatics
- Canned diced tomatoes: you could use chopped fresh tomatoes that have been seeded, but canned are more convenient and work fine when you cook them
- Spices: dried oregano, dried basil, salt, ground black pepper
Ideas for Customizing Vegan Stuffed Peppers
You can add some variety by changing the grain. Use quinoa instead of brown rice to add some additional protein. The cooking time won’t change since you’ll need to cook the filling long enough for the lentils to become soft.
Another option is to use some different spices. Instead of dried oregano and basil, try chili powder and cumin for more Mexican-inspired flavors. YOu can also add 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika to add some smoky flavor.
If you like your meals spicy, add some red pepper flakes or a little cayenne pepper when you’re cooking the filling.
Storage and Reheating Tips
These stuffed peppers will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days if you store them in an airtight container.
To reheat them, pop them in the microwave for a few minutes until the filling is heated. Another option is reheating them in the oven for about 20 minutes at 350℉
More Vegan Recipes to Try
Vegan Stuffed Peppers
- 4 bell peppers (any color)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 8 oz. mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup brown or green lentils
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1.5 cups water
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp salt, more to taste
- ground black pepper
Roast the Peppers
- Preheat oven to 400℉. Cut peppers in half vertically, remove seeds and ribs, and place on a baking sheet cut side down. Drizzle with a little oil and salt, and roast for 25 minutes.
Make the Filling
- While the peppers roast, start making the filling. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and mushrooms and cook 8 minutes, until the mushrooms are soft. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Add the lentils, rice, tomatoes, water, oregano, basil, and salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low. Cover the skillet and cook for 35 minutes. Take the lid off and cook an additional 10 minutes until the rice and lentils are soft and any excess liquid is cooked off.
- Scoop equal amounts of the filling into each pepper half.
Pin this recipe to your favorite Pinterest board!