Vegan tofu tikka masala is a delicious low FODMAP curry made with coconut milk, tomatoes, garam masala, and other spices. Serve it with some brown rice and you have a healthy and hearty meal.
How to Press Tofu
When you’re making a curry dish like tofu tikka masala, you want to press the tofu to get rid of as much liquid as possible. This makes the tofu spongier and better able to soak up the sauce. Make sure to use firm or extra-firm tofu. Silken tofu is too soft and will not hold up in this dish.
You can buy a tofu press, but I’ve never tried one. I like to minimize the number of kitchen tools I have so I press tofu using some basic items in my kitchen.
- Wrap the tofu block with a clean kitchen towel or paper towels and place on a large plate or baking dish.
- Place a plate or small cutting board on top of the tofu.
- Place a heavy item (e.g., heavy can, frying pan, heavy bowl) on top of the plate or board you just placed on the tofu.
- Let it sit to press out the liquid for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Cut into cubes or slabs and cook.
What is Garam Masala?
Garam masala, which is the main spice used in this dish, is a blend of ground spices often used in Indian cuisine. It usually contains some combination of ground coriander, black pepper, cumin, cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, fennel, mace, and dried chilies. You can find it in the spice section of your regular grocery store.
It differs from regular yellow curry powder in that it doesn’t contain turmeric and therefore is not yellow, and it contains sweeter spices (cinnamon, cardamon, etc.) that are not generally found in yellow curry powder.
More Low FODMAP Recipes to Try
Vegan Tofu Tikka Masala Recipe
- 16 oz. extra-firm tofu (pressed and cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or avocado oil or olive oil)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced or grated
- 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 14 oz. can of coconut milk (full-fat)
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika (or chili powder)
- 1/2 tsp salt, more to taste
- 4 cups baby spinach
- Heat coconut oil in a heavy bottom pot or large skillet over medium heat add ginger and cook 30 seconds.
- Add diced tomatoes, coconut milk, garam masala, cumin, smoked paprika, and salt. Stir to combine then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, let it cool slightly and then blend the sauce by transferring it to a blender or using an immersion stick blender.
- Pour the sauce back into the pan and add the tofu cubes then simmer for 10 minutes. Add the spinach and stir until wilted.
Pin this recipe to your favorite Pinterest board!