Muffins are an easy thing to whip up as part of your weekly meal prep for a grab and go breakfast or a portable afternoon snack. If you like banana bread try making a batch of these whole wheat banana muffins
How to Make Whole Wheat Banana Muffins
Step One: Mix the Wet Ingredients
In a large bowl, whisk together:
- Mashed banana
- Maple syrup
- Melted coconut oil
- Pure vanilla extract
You want the banana to be really ripe. Banana muffins are a great way to use up bananas that are about to go bad. You can also use thawed frozen bananas.
Maple syrup is used for the sweetener instead of white sugar.
Unless your pantry is really warm, coconut oil is usually solid while it’s in the pantry. Just scoop out ⅓ of a cup and warm it up in the microwave for about 1 minute until it’s completely liquified.
Step Two: Add the Dry Ingredients
Add the dry ingredients:
- Whole wheat flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
Using whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour adds some fiber.
If you’re interested in using gluten-free flour, try this almond and coconut flour banana bread.
Step Three: Bake the Muffins
Evenly divide the batter among the muffin tins and bake for 20 minutes at 400℉. The tops should be golden brown.
Store Whole Wheat Banana Muffins
Muffins are great for make-ahead breakfasts or snacks because they can last for 5-7 days if stored properly. Store the muffins in a container with a tight-fitting lid and keep them at room temperature or in the fridge (they may stay fresh a little longer in the fridge). Grab one (or two) to take to work or when you’re out running errands.
Other Muffin Recipes to Try
Whole Wheat Banana Muffins
- 1.5 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (or honey)
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil (or avocado oil)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 400℉. Line 12 standard-sized muffin tins with muffin liners (paper or silicone).
- In a large bowl, whisk the mashed banana, egg, oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- Add the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to the wet ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Divide the batter evenly between 12 muffin tins and bake for 20 minutes until the tops are golden brown.
Pin this recipe to your favorite Pinterest board!