This simple lentil soup is easy to make for a satisfying lunch or dinner. Lentils are highly nutritious and very budget friendly. You can find most of the ingredients for this soup in your pantry so you can quickly make it when you want a cheap yet healthy meal.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time55 mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt, more to taste
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup dried lentils, brown or green
- 4 cups broth (vegetable or chicken)
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, add more to taste if desired
Heat oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven or large pot. Add onion, carrot, and celery and cook 5-7 minutes until onion is softened and translucent.
Add garlic, cumin, coriander, dried thyme, turmeric, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. Cook until fragrant, stirring for about 30 seconds.
Add diced tomatoes and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Add lentils, broth, and water and bring to a boil. Once it starts to boil reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30-35 minutes until lentils are soft.
Add fresh lemon juice and stir.
Store any leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to several months.