Healthy Quinoa "Fried Rice" Skillet Recipe
Quinoa "fried rice", a variation on traditional fried rice, made with quinoa, onions, carrots, peas, eggs, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Try this skillet meal for your meal prep or a quick weeknight dinner.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
- 4 cups cooked and chilled quinoa
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil (can also use coconut or olive oil)
- 2 eggs
- 1 medium onion, chopped (yellow or red onion)
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (use tamari or coconut aminos if gluten-free)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
Cook the eggs
Whisk the eggs in a small bowl. Heat one teaspoon of avocado oil in a skillet over medium heat and add the eggs. Use a spatula to gently stir the eggs until they are cooked through. Transfer the eggs to a plate, use the spatula to break up the cooked egg into small pieces, and then set aside.
"Fry" the quinoa
Add 2 tablespoons of avocado oil to the skillet with the vegetables. Once the oil is heated, add the quinoa and soy sauce and stir to combine. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently to “fry” the quinoa. Add the sesame oil and cooked egg and stir for another minute to combine everything. Season with salt and pepper.