Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup
Split pea soup made in the slow cooker with onion, carrots, celery, and herbs. A healthy and simple make-ahead meal for the cold weather months.
- 1 pound dried green split peas
- 1 quart reduced-sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 4 cups water
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1.5 tsp salt, more to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- red chili flakes, to taste (optional)
Add all the ingredients to the slow cooker.
Cook for 8 hours on low or 5-6 hours on high, until the split peas are soft. Remove the bay leaf before serving.